Bullying In America
Bullying has become a prevalent problem in American Society. An American Justice Department school and cyber-bullying study shows that 1 out of every 4 kids will be bullied and that 150,000 kids miss school everyday in fear of bullying. (1) According to one study, Pennsylvania is one of the five worst states to live in to avoiding bullying. (2) Victims want to defend themselves, but most are too afraid for their personal safety and well being to do so.
Statistics In America
- 1 out of 4 kids is Bullied.
- 150,000 kids miss school everyday in fear of bullying
- 77% of students are bullied mentally, verbally, & physically.
- 1 out of 5 kids admits to being a bully, or doing some “Bullying.”
- 8% of students miss 1 day of class per month for fear of Bullies.
- 43% fear harassment in the bathroom at school.
- 282,000 students are physically attacked in secondary schools each month
We teach control, not violence
Other martial arts systems teach violence against violence. They teach a child to react with punches, kicks, knees, and elbows. The Bully Self Defense program starts by teaching children how to verbally defuse a violent situation, to stop violence before it starts. However, if attacked, our students know Gracie Jiu Jitsu techniques that are defensive, use no striking, and can non-violently neutralize a bully. The confidence provided by the Bully Self Defense program teaches our students, as the Gracie’s say, “to fight fire with water – not fire.”
Our five objectives:
- Awareness and focus: Attacks can be physical, verbal or mental. Our students recognize a bully’s behaviors and the best responses for each situation.
- Build Confidence: Our Gracie Jiu Jitsu classes teach techniques to negate a larger opponent while remaining calm. Bullies are less likely to harass children who display self-confidence.
- Making Education Fun: Students in our Bully Self Defense program have a great time while learning the best martial art in the world.
- Establish Readiness: Our program will help our students make it clear that bullying behavior is not acceptable, taking the power away from the bully.
- Balanced Lifestyle: Our students learn about a Balance diet, discipline and respect. This program is not one dimensional. Our students don’t become better fighters, they become better people.
Bully Self Defense Programs:
Our Bully Self Defense programs are taught with energy, enthusiasm and excitement to promote learning while playing. Our students learn in a safe, violent free atmosphere without the stress of expectation. This makes learning fun for everyone involved and is what helps to make our program a success. The last and perhaps most important component is the support and encouragement of the parents. Our students – your children – cannot successfully build confidence without you believing in them and what they are learning.
John Zulawski is a retired thirty-year veteran of the New Jersey State Police. As a State Trooper, he maintained a high level of physical fitness and obtained quality training in self-defense and instructor training courses.
He first started his Martial Arts journey in 2000, studying Judo at Dojo of Nisei Kito Ryu obtaining the rank of Rokyu. He continued his Martial Arts journey by taking up Brazilian Jiu Jitsu in 2007, studying at Yamasaki Academy of Somers Point and obtained his purple belt. Heis currently a brown belt at Komar Jiu Jitsu, teaching adult morning classes as well as the Children’s Classes.
Gracie Combat Techniques (This is not a sport)
The Techniques taught in this course are Gracie Jiu-Jitsu Combat techniques, not sport techniques. These combat techniques can be applied to the sports of MMA and BJJ, but when in real battle, one must be aware of punches, kicks and other moves that may be illegal in sport.
Who trusts and uses Gracie Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu combat techniques?
- Secret Service
- Local police dept
- U.S. Border Patrol
- Special Forces
- Navy SEAL
- US Army
- US Air Force
- US Marine Corps
- US Coast Guard
- U.S. Army
*Most branches of military and Law enforcement have adopted this program in their own combative programs because of its simplicity, effectiveness and ability to save lives.
MMA is not real combat, it is a sport.
We are big fans of Mixed Martial Arts here at Komar Jiu Jitsu, but we do not forget that MMA is a sport and not reality combat on the street. Gracie Jiu-Jitsu Basics gives you the means to survive a street encounter.
Facts about real fighting on the street
- No rules on the street
- No weight classes
- No time limit
- You can’t pick your opponent
- No gloves or protective gear
- No rounds
- Tapping out is not respected
- No Refs
- No payday 🙂
The Balance of the Gracie Jiu-Jitsu Lifestyle
I guarantee that you will quickly become addicted to the Gracie jiu-jitsu way of life. Most students enroll in our program because of the effectiveness of the techniques, but quickly become enchanted with the lifestyle. Jiu-Jitsu becomes a reason to take care of yourself in all aspects of your life.
Components of a Balanced Jiu-Jitsu Life
- Gracie/Balance Diet
- Train BJJ daily
- Yoga poses and breathing
- Play Chess
- Strength Training
- Emotional Intelligence
- Cross training in MMA
- Always studying technique
- Live the “gentle” way